My Daughter Went Viral!!!!
No I don’t mean she got sick, the little firecracker has a video that has gone crazy online!
So Brooke has been upset by homelessness for a long time and always makes an effort to give money, and say hello to people living on the street.
You see children have a natural feeling for what’s right an whats wrong, they know it instinctively. When she saw homeless people, she asked me why they didn’t have a home.
I explained there are many reasons, and we talked through a few (in a child friendly way of course.) Brooke then asked why I couldn’t buy them all houses, to which I explained that I wouldn’t have enough money to do that.
She asked (logically) “Well who does? Who’s in charge? The Queen?”
I explained we have a prime minister and she asked their name.
From there she has had a major bee in her bonnet. She and her younger sister are saving any money they get, to buy presents for homeless people at Christmas this year. They even sold a slice of birthday cake they got to their Dad for 50p to put in their pot.
Children see the world very black and white, no nuanced bits and actually they cut through the crap. It’s refreshing.
This country is RICH, we have the money to all have a decent standard of living, its gross that we have people unable to have a roof over their heads and if my 5 year old daughter can see that, then so should the divs in charge.
Yes my daughter does come from a long line of ‘ranters’, me and her Dad are passionate and get out to stand up for things, when we believe it’s worth doing, my parents did the same, my Dad was a shop steward and his Dad was too.
In fact my Dad has told me hilarious stories of waking up to find someone sleeping in his house, that he didn’t know. Someone his Dad had found homeless on the street, or someone from down the pub, who had fallen on hard times. A memorable one being an American bloke, called Chuck that my Grandma eventually had to lose in Newcastle City Centre, as he wouldn’t leave.
So we come from a long line of people that give a shit and I am more than proud that Brooke does too.
Now here come the ‘commenters’
“It’s indoctrinating a child”
“Children should be playing, not discussing politics”
“She’s been told what to say”
“Child actors are pretentious and gross”
- Don’t underestimate young voices, they listen, they watch, they learn and they evaluate the world just as we do, they are more than capable of making choices and developing their own little thoughts.
- Indoctrination, right, well, I allow my children to come up with their own conclusions, I give them my views (obviously) and then I explain that not everyone agrees with me and we discuss opposing views. For example I don’t believe in God, Brooke says she likes to believe there is someone in the clouds, who’s nice. Her choice.
- She’s always playing and singing and laughing and learning and being silly and if you think otherwise you are a moron. She discusses many things, just the other day she asked me “Mum, where does hair come from?”- See very varied!
- Politics is EVERYTHING, just because adults like to think of politics being stuffy men in suits, arguing in parliament, doesn’t mean that’s what they actually are. She ask’s many questions about life and we discuss it all openly.
- She has NOT been told what to say, I had to film that 3 or 4 times before she was happy and I was giggling away the whole time, in previous takes she said “If we all just give £3 a month, it will give children in other countries some water”, so it’s those bloomin’ Save the Children ads that are ‘indoctrinating’ her with such heinous views.
- I was a child actor and maybe it is weird to see articulate children, but those articulate children grow up to be articulate adults and do things with their lives. I was articulate and spoke confidently with adults, I read Wild Swans and Anne Franks Diary at 8, I was moved up a year in primary school, because I was smart. It’s all held me in pretty good stead being a nerdy, articulate book worm, so I hope my little Brookey Cookie (what we call her) continues.
So to sum up, Brooke is kind hearted, little darling and just cares about what is going on in the world, and fair play to her.
So this afternoon, when she gets home from school we will dance around, play, chat about her day, and maybe even discuss real life stuff too. Brooke has more going on in the background than any of you will believe, her Dad has grade 4 brain cancer and this little superstar is worried about others.
Daily Mirror Article
Shame on the adults that see it as anything more.
The Brain Tumour Charity Fundraising Page